Thursday, September 1, 2011

1


To Libby, on your first birthday,

As I write this letter to you today, I am overwhelmed with gratitude that you are mine. I hope that somehow, in some future year, you will understand just how precious you are to me and how amazing this last year has been. My world revolves around you. And while that simple fact may be challenging at times, I know how lucky I am to have something important and meaningful enough to change my whole world - YOU.

I almost started this letter by saying that one year ago, I had no idea that I could love you this much. But that would be untrue. Even before you were born, I loved you with my whole heart. Seeing you grow and learn and change this past year has been incredibly fulfilling and and while I somehow seem to love you more each day, it doesn't mean that I loved you any less the day before. Rather, I think my capacity to love you grows along with you.

There are so many things I love about you: your smile, your laugh, your "monster" face, your snuggles, the way you lay your head on my shoulder when meeting someone new, the way you lean your head way over to the side and grin, your love of books, your impromptu games of peekaboo. Every day, you make me laugh. Every day, you surprise me with your creativity, intelligence, and abilities. Every day, I am grateful to be your mom.


The world is lucky to have you, Libby Claire. I can't wait to see the person you become.

Happy birthday.

1 comment: