Thursday, October 5, 2017

Kid Speak - 2017

Piper

Looking into her binoculars, "I could probably see India."

We were mystery shoppers at a restaurant and had to get the name of our server. Piper leaned over and whispered in my ear, "I think his name is Hufflepuff."

In mock exasperation, "for good sake."

"If there is a lot of snow, why don't I see Jesus?"

To me, "You're getting old! You have white hair. ... But you're not dead."

Pointing at an rough looking older man 10 yards away from us, "Is he homeless?" "Shh, I don't know. Probably not." "But he's old. He'll probably die soon."

Piper is extremely chatty. We were on a 6 hour drive and she chattered NONSTOP at the least the entire last hour. It was late when we got home and we put the kids right to bed. Piper seemed surprised and said "aren't we going to talk?"

Piper and Libby were laying in bed chatting at night about whom they want to marry. Libby: "8 people are in love with you." Piper: "Because I'm so shiny and powerful?"

Birdie

On a road trip, while still in Iowa, "Ooooh, mountains! I love it!"

"Shake your booty," as she wiggles rapidly back and forth.

"Hi Mom." This is what she says anytime she is feeling nervous or embarrassed, or a stranger speaks to her. Also, just 100 times a day for no apparent reason.

Rocking in her infant car seat inside the house, "Mommy sit? I rock you!"

Observing me use the bathroom, "Pee Mommy? Good dob. Try again!"

When she wakes up from her nap, she yells from her room, "Mommy! My wake!" or "Mommy! Where are you?"

At lunch time, Birdie had been asking for someone to pass the salt and no one was listening. Finally, she yelled louder than I've ever heard her, "Please pass the saaaaaaaalt!"

For weeks or maybe months after watching E.T., she'd randomly say "E.T. phone home!"

While watching a Disney nature movie, during a scene with the monkey, "Hurry, monkey! Hide! Monster coming!"

Phrases from songs she regularly sings:
"Come my lady."
"Na na na na, hey, hey, goodbye."
"Mary lamb, mary lamb."
"I will get back up again." (She refers to this as the Poppy song.)
"I say, you're welcome." (The Maui song. When Birdie wants to watch the video, she says "watch welcome!")

Libby

Passing by one of many crop fields we see on a daily basis, "Is that corn or tobacco?"

"Why should you never tell a secret in a corn field? There are too many ears!"

I had done my hair differently than usual. "You look so pretty, you don't even look like our mom. Because our real mom is not that pretty, but you look so pretty."

During the 4th inning of a baseball game we were at, "When is it going to start?"

Piper said the word "buttcrack" and Libby replied, "That's not a good word! You should say 'the ditch of my bottom.'"




No comments:

Post a Comment